2015 Piero N. Patri Fellowship in Urban Design
SPUR is pleased to issue a call for applicants for a twelve-week fellowship in the summer of 2015.
The Piero N. Patri Fellowship in Urban Design is a hands-on position for a current student or 2014/2015 graduate in urban design, architecture, landscape architecture or a related field. The fellowship provides the opportunity to gain firsthand experience working in the urban design and planning field on a project that will have a positive impact on the city of San Francisco and the Bay Area.
Projects are intended to provide career-related work experiences that will challenge graduate-level students, contribute to San Francisco, contribute to SPUR's mission and reflect the values of Piero N. Patri. SPUR will cooperate with the fellow in obtaining academic credit, if his or her institution allows.
While past Patri Fellows have focused on design solutions, or in building community awareness, the 2015 Patri Fellow will work to create a short film, or series of films, that provide tangible context and insight on San Francisco’s Southeast Waterfront. The fellow will be afforded significant flexibility in scripting the project, but will need to assimilate the work of past Patri Fellows, as well the current land use, economic, transportation, infrastructure and societal issues in play within the neighborhoods of the Southeast Waterfront in order to craft a narrative that can shape a successful video. The Fellow will then work with a youth team from BAYCAT — a local media lab that empowers underserved children by teaching them digital skills — and guide their production of the film(s). Upon completion of production, the Fellow will be responsible for marketing the film(s) before premiering them to stakeholders, community leaders and the general public.
Priority will be given to candidates who show an interest and expertise in script writing and video production, in addition to a strong background in city planning, landscape architecture or architecture.
Fellow Selection Schedule
- Applications due via e-mail by 5 p.m. (PST), Friday May 29, 2015
- Notification of fellowship winner: early June 2015
- Start of fellowship: June 2015
- Conclusion of fellowship: late summer/early fall 2015
The committee may communicate with candidates by e-mail, telephone, or in person during the evaluation period.
How to Apply
- Submit applications via email to email@example.com
- Deadline: 5 p.m. (PST), Friday May 29, 2015
- Format: One PDF file (10mb maximum file size. 8.5 x 11 page size only)
- Items to include:
- Completed application (download the application here)
- Letter of interest (1 page)
- Portfolio of work samples (20 pages maximum)
- Writing sample (10 pages maximum)
The Fellow will be responsible for working with a team of youth from BAYCAT to script, produce and market a short film, or short films, that adds insight to the issues and projects currently facing the multi-facteted neighborhoods that make up San Francisco’s Southeast Waterfront. SPUR will publicize the work resulting from the Fellow's project, and the Fellow will present the results of the project in a public presentation.
Applicants may view the results of past fellowships here:
- A Floating Wetland Handbook — 2014 Patri Fellowship Project
- Connections at Bayview Hill, a Pocket Guide — 2013 Patri Fellowship Project
- SEWSF.org — 2012 Patri Fellowship Project
- Unaccepted Streets: From Paper to Reality Part 1 and Part 2 — 2011 Patri Fellowship Project
- 3rd and Cargo — 2010 Patri Fellowship Project
- EmBIKEadero — 2009 Patri Fellowship Project
- Imagining Islais Creek — 2008 Patri Fellowship Project
- Envisioning Warmwater Cove — 2007 Patri Fellowship Project
- Gabriel Metcalf, SPUR
- Noah Christman, SPUR
- Kristy Wang, SPUR
- Tito Patri
- Johanna Patri
- Bobby Patri
- Marcel Wilson, Bionic Landscape
- Scott Preston, AECOM Design + Planning
- David Beaupre, Port of San Francisco