SPUR is a nonprofit public policy organization in the San Francisco Bay Area. Through research, education and advocacy, SPUR works to create an equitable, sustainable and prosperous region. We bring people together from across the political spectrum to develop solutions to the big problems cities face. With a presence in San Francisco, San José and Oakland, we are recognized as a leading civic planning organization and respected for our independent and holistic approach to urban issues.
SPUR seeks candidates for the newly created position of Operations Associate to help execute our operational, finance and HR needs. This position is responsible for supporting the People Operations team on overseeing the day-to-day administrative and operational needs of a mid-size organization.
This position is well suited for someone who takes pride in supporting the health and functioning of a team with a collaborative problem-solving approach. We are looking for someone interested in nonprofit administration who hopes to gain exceptional work experience and understands that well-run finance, HR and operational activities are the backbone of any organization.
This role will support the ongoing creation of an organizational culture in which equity and inclusion is an integral part. You will work on a team whose mission is to smoothly execute the full suite of operations, finance and HR activities of SPUR - including hiring and onboarding staff, supporting technology and office needs and other administrative duties. This position will report to the Chief Administrative Officer and work closely and collaboratively with the Strategy & Operations Director and the Senior Accountant.
Assist in the management of Human Resources operations and administration.
- Support in developing an effective talent strategy, including a strong candidate pipeline for all staff roles.
- Assist in overseeing processes across full employee lifecycle: recruitment, hiring, onboarding, trainings, leaves of absence (LOA’s), offboarding, and separation.
- Support the creation, maintenance, and implementation of organizational policies and procedures.
- Support in refining and implementing performance management systems, implementing professional development opportunities and trainings for staff.
- Support the development and implementation of activities to cultivate a positive workplace culture.
Support in the management of key organization-wide systems, policies, and processes.
- Design, maintain and document standard policies, processes, and procedures for operations and work with all staff to ensure compliance with all policies and procedures.
- Serve as primary liaison to Strategy and Operations Director to handle or assist with IT needs.
- Manage on-site technology infrastructure to support smooth office operations (e.g. copier, printers, zoom, wi-fi)
- Manage vendor relationships and accounts (e.g. utilities, contractors and other service providers)
- Provide logistical support for board/committee and staff meetings and other SPUR meetings or events.
- General administrative tasks as assigned
- Greet, register and guide Urban Center visitors — maintain a presence in the ground floor lobby.
Finance & Accounting
- Process checks and bank deposits
- Support in entering financial transactions as needed
- Support in annual audit preparation
- Manage filing of accounting-related documents and compliance
- Support in all relevant committee meetings
- Other duties as assigned
- 2-3 years of relevant experience and increasing responsibilities in operational execution, preferably in a nonprofit setting.
- Passion for SPUR’s mission
- Positive attitude
- Attention to detail and quality of work product
- Ability to problem-solve and take ownership of assigned tasks
- Discretion in maintaining confidential information
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Bookkeeping experience a plus, but not needed
The salary range for this position is $62,400-$72,000 and will be based on experience and commensurate with skills and qualifications. This is a full-time, exempt position. SPUR offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, vision care, basic life insurance, pre-tax commuter benefits, work from home stipend, employee assistance program (EAP) and retirement plan with twenty-five percent contribution matching.
Hybrid Work Environment
At SPUR the health of our employees and their families is our top priority. SPUR has a hybrid workplace model defined by a combination of remote and in-person work. We have mandatory all staff in-person days on Monday and staff may be required to attend other in-person meetings, events and programs as needed. All policies are subject to change as relevant health orders change.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
SPUR employees are required to confidentially show proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination to HR as a condition of employment. If the employee is entitled to a medical related reasonable accommodation or a sincerely held religious belief or practice, then the employee is exempt from the vaccine requirement and reasonable accommodations will be considered and made available if there is not an undue hardship incurred in order to provide it.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume. Applicants should apply by submitting their materials to this link.
Equal Opportunity Employer
SPUR is an equal opportunity employer with a strong organizational commitment to respecting differences of all kinds. SPUR prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, political orientation or disability or any other basis prohibited by law. In that spirit, we strongly encourage applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, LGBTQ applicants and others that will contribute to the diversity of our staff.
Applicants With Disabilities
Reasonable accommodations will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so assigned.