SPUR is a nonprofit public policy organization in the San Francisco Bay Area. Through research, education and advocacy, SPUR works to create an equitable, sustainable and prosperous region, where all people thrive. We bring people together from across the political spectrum to develop solutions to the big problems cities face. With offices in San Francisco, San José and Oakland, we are recognized and respected for our independent and holistic approach to urban issues.
The Oakland Director implements SPUR’s vision for change through local action in the city of Oakland and ensures that SPUR’s vision is informed by Oakland’s local context. Along with the San Jose Director and San Francisco Director, the Oakland Director is a member of the Local Impact Team. This role reports into SPUR’s President and CEO and operates in close collaboration with the Chief of Policy and Policy Team.
The Oakland Director is responsible for building alliances and partnerships at the local level. This role will: serve as primary point of contact for SPUR’s Oakland Board of Directors and its Oakland-focused policy and advocacy; build relationships with elected officials, agency heads, prospective funders, community leaders and advocacy partners; understand local trends; and, identify strategic opportunities and threats to achieving SPUR’s vision for social change and realizing our fundraising goals. The Oakland Director serves as a strategic advisor within SPUR and a trusted ally with partners.
The Oakland Director will have a deep understanding of the public policy process, levers and community context in Oakland. This role will work with the Chief of Policy to shape SPUR’s policy priorities and be able to identify and develop locally relevant political opportunities that demonstrate SPUR’s impact and meaningfully and measurably promote equity across the region. Additionally, the Oakland Director will extend SPUR’s reach and contribute to SPUR’s internal culture of financial stewardship by creating impactful partnerships that position the organization to secure new and sustaining funding sources. Working with the Development team, this role will inform and execute on SPUR’s strategic fundraising direction.
The Oakland Director will be comfortable in a self-directed environment and adept at navigating multiple and at times competing priorities while still delivering impactful work products representing SPUR in the City of Oakland.
- Serve on SPUR’s Senior Leadership Team, supporting decision making around organizational strategy and development.
- Lead SPUR’s city-focused policy development, advocacy and implementation efforts in Oakland, identifying strategic opportunities and threats to realizing SPUR’s Regional Strategy in Oakland
- Develop a strategic plan, roadmap, and resource plan for SPUR’s work in Oakland, oversee policy initiatives and manage and develop an Oakland team.
- Serve as primary point of contact responsible for high-touch engagement with SPUR’s Oakland Board of Directors
- Build and maintain relationships with city and county policy-makers and staff
- Expand SPUR’s local partnerships, building and/or strengthening and maintaining relationships with local community based and resident-driven organizations
- Develop advocacy positions on strategic policy items in the City of Oakland, authoring advocacy letters and at times delivering public comment on behalf of the organization, in partnership with SPUR board and staff.
- Facilitate meetings with board committees, partners, task forces and others in service of achieving SPUR’s policy and advocacy objectives
- Partner with the Public Programming and Communications teams to organize events and represent SPUR in media, meetings, forums and other visibility opportunities
- Author substantive content about local issues for distribution via SPUR communication platforms
- Serve as a key resource for fund development efforts in support of SPUR Oakland and the organization more broadly
- Work in close coordination with teams across the organization, particularly Policy, Development, and Communications.
- At least 10 years of progressing work experience in either public policy or urban planning
- Commitment to the health and vitality of Oakland and its residents
- Passion for urban affairs with proven ability to recognize public policy opportunities for implementation and local impact
- Proven ability to develop trusted partnerships with a variety of leaders from the community as well as public, private, nonprofit and philanthropic sectors
- Experience with policy development and negotiations within a political environment
- Capable and compelling public speaker and/or facilitator
- Proven proficiency in research and writing and with the ability to manage others work in this area
- Experienced in raising funds via philanthropic partnerships and comfortable asking private donors for financial support.
- At least 2 years of experience supervising others
The salary range for this position is $150,000-$175,000 and will be based on experience and commensurate with skills and qualifications. This is a full-time, exempt position. SPUR offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, vision care, basic life insurance, pre-tax commuter benefits, work from home stipend, employee assistance program (EAP) and retirement plan with twenty-five percent contribution matching.
Hybrid Work Environment
At SPUR the health of our employees and their families is our top priority. SPUR has a hybrid workplace model defined by a combination of remote and in-person work. We have mandatory all staff in-person days on Monday and staff may be required to attend other in-person meetings, events and programs as needed. All policies are subject to change as relevant health orders change.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
SPUR employees are required to confidentially show proof of COVID-19 vaccination to HR as a condition of employment. If the employee is entitled to a medical related reasonable accommodation or a sincerely held religious belief or practice, then the employee is exempt from the vaccine requirement and reasonable accommodations will be considered and made available if there is not an undue hardship incurred in order to provide it.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume. Applicants should apply by submitting their materials to this link.
Equal Opportunity Employer
SPUR is an equal opportunity employer with a strong organizational commitment to respecting differences of all kinds. SPUR prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, political orientation or disability or any other basis prohibited by law. In that spirit, we strongly encourage applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, LGBTQ applicants and others that will contribute to the diversity of our staff.
Applicants With Disabilities
Reasonable accommodations will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so assigned.