Reports to: Director of Corporate Philanthropy & Membership
Salary: Depending upon experience
Through research, education and advocacy, SPUR promotes good planning and good government in the San Francisco Bay Area. We bring people together from across the political spectrum to develop solutions to the big problems the region faces. With presence in San Francisco, San Jose and Oakland, we are recognized as a leading civic planning organization and respected for our independent and holistic approach to urban issues.
SPUR is seeking an experienced Membership Manager to facilitate all aspects of our individual membership program. This position oversees the execution of SPUR’s individual membership promotional campaigns and communications to increase and retain existing individual members. They will help drive strategy, help design membership outreach plans, oversee cultivation and stewardship events and refine critical fundraising systems for SPUR’s individual membership program. This position is the primary contact for individual members and duties including addressing member questions and concerns.
- In collaboration with Development team members, create and implement acquisition, renewal and retention campaign strategies for the entire individual membership program
- In collaboration with the team, write, edit and distribute membership appeals and appropriately timed donor touch points
- Ensure regular reporting on the effectiveness of appeals, response rates, renewal rates, and join rates, including assessment of cost effectiveness
- Evaluate all membership campaigns and appeals against metrics
- Grow, cultivate and steward the Urban Leaders Council
- Work closely with SPUR’s Communications and Engagement team to bridge their efforts with the individual member experience
- Partner with the Development team to enhance individual donor fundraising at general SPUR events (such as Silver SPUR)
- Responsible for raising $500,000 in support of SPUR’s $7.5M annual budget from a current member base of approximately 3,000 individuals
- Plan and execute the implementation of the membership acquisition, upgrade and renewal processes for all membership levels
- Conceptualize and organize Urban Leaders Council events and experiences in San Francisco, San Jose and Oakland
- Utilize and champion SPUR’s CRM systems including Salesforce, Pardot and Fonteva
- Assist in developing donor reports that will assist in all aspects of individual gifts fundraising
- Strong command of the membership budget including revenue and expenses to run the membership program
- Maintain visibility and availability in the community and frequently attend community events
- Engage in continuous learning and improvement so SPUR can become a more effective fundraising organization over time
- Other responsibilities as required or assigned
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strong track record of relationship-based business development, fundraising or marketing
- Ability to work in Oakland, San Jose and San Francisco
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- 2-3 years of experience in managing a membership program
- Interest in urban and public/civic affairs
- Comfort and willingness to ask for money
- Self-directing initiative
- Keen sense of judgment to handle complex donor relationships
- Proven effective communication skills (written and verbal)
- High attention to detail
- Ability to adapt to existing systems and improve upon them
- Proficient use of CRM Systems, Excel, Word, PowerPoint
Salary and Benefits
Salary is to be determined depending upon experience. Full-time, exempt position with some flexibility available. SPUR offers a complete benefits package of health insurance, dental insurance, vision care, long-term disability and life insurance, employee assistance program (EAP), 25% retirement contribution matching, and monthly transit pass.
Applicants should email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and, skills required of personnel so assigned.
SPUR is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.