Through research, education and advocacy, SPUR promotes good planning and good government in the San Francisco Bay Area. We bring people together from across the political spectrum to develop solutions to the big problems cities face. With offices in San Francisco, San Jose and Oakland, we are recognized as a leading civic planning organization and respected for our independent and holistic approach to urban issues.
Location: San Francisco
Hours per week: Flexible, but two to three full (9-5) days per week preferred. Availability to help with the occasional late night or early morning event preferred.
Duration: 3 months minimum, long term preferred
Start Date: Immediately (summer through fall)
Important Event Dates: Participation mandatory all day on Thursday, May 16, 2019; Wednesday, June 12, 2019; and Thursday, June 20, 2019 for the 2019 Summer Parties
Reports to: the Development Events Manager
SPUR is seeking an intern to assist with fundraising and special events. Depending on the applicant’s strengths and the day-to-day needs of our team, the intern will gain experience in nonprofit marketing, social media management, data analysis, database management, event logistics, event design and programming, fundraising strategy, and other administrative tasks. Furthermore, they will learn crucial project management, professional development, and organizational skills that will help them to continue growing a successful career for years to come.
The ideal intern will be highly motivated to learn about the nonprofit sector and won’t be afraid to take initiative. They will also have a strong eye for detail and a positive attitude. They have excellent written and grammatical skills.They will be highly reliable, able to meet deadlines,and a self-starter who is comfortable with asking questions and making suggestions.
We are seeking interns to start immediately. Interns will help us prepare for the 2019 Summer Parties, build a strong event infrastructure and support additional events.
Event logistics and day-of coordination
- Developing a supply inventory and tracking system.
- Lead volunteers on event day by providing orientation, assigning tasks, and providing support
- Support day-of logistics in preparation for and at events
- Assist with clean-up and attendance tracking after event
- Assist Development Events Manager with additional administrative tasks as needed
Data + database support
- Maintain and add database records on an ongoing basis
- Research event vendors, technologies, programming elements and more.
- Develop cost comparisons and vendor summaries as needed.
- Develop spreadsheets and clean data.
- Draft agenda and talking points as well as taking and distributing notes
- Support social media strategy, collaborating on developing and drafting content and maintaining scheduling.
- Draft and proof email content and other promotional content.
- Assemble packets, envelopes, invitations
- Assist with meeting preparation and clean-up
- Management of special projects and research opportunities
- Other duties as assigned
Preferred knowledge, skills and abilities
- Highly detail-oriented
- Highly adaptable
- Highly reliable and able to work independently
- Interest in cities, public policy and urban issues
- Office skills, knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience with online databases (eTapestry, Salesforce, etc.) preferred
- Strong communications skills, both verbally and in writing
- Copywriting and copyediting experience
- Experience managing multichannel marketing campaigns (social media, print, email) with measured results
- Online research experience
- Ability to independently manage workflow but also thrive in a team environment
- Ability to lead volunteers and provide clear instructions in a polite and courteous way
- Ability to comfortably lift 30 lbs.
- Ability to travel to off site events as needed
- Ability to participate in early morning and evening events as needed
- Experience with social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn) preferred
- Free access to SPUR’s lunchtime and evening forums
- Exposure to Bay Area urban planning and policy
- Commuter checks available for interns working at least 24 hours/week
To apply, send your cover letter and resume to Research and Volunteer Coordinator, with the position title in the subject line, at firstname.lastname@example.org.