Executive Policy Assistant
SPUR is a nonprofit public policy organization in the San Francisco Bay Area. Through research, education and advocacy, SPUR works to create an equitable, sustainable and prosperous region. We bring people together from across the political spectrum to develop solutions to the big problems cities face. With a presence in San Francisco, San José and Oakland, we are recognized as a leading civic planning organization and respected for our independent and holistic approach to urban issues.
In this role, you would primarily provide executive support to the Chief of Policy. You would also engage in special policy research and/or advocacy projects, depending on need and skillset. It’s the perfect role for someone who is organized and understands the power of helping organize others - whether it is the Chief of Policy, the Policy Team or external partnerships or coalitions. The role would also be a great fit for someone who wants to gain exposure to policy research or advocacy across multiple policy areas, and enjoys working in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
Executive Support to the Chief of Policy
- Manage the calendar for Chief of Policy, including organizing large meetings with many external participants
- Prepare communication for Chief of Policy, including but not limited to, letters, organizational updates and memos, articles, and internal and external presentations
- Manage agendas for various Policy Team meetings and a host of regular meetings, keep notes and manage follow-ups
- Ensure internal Policy Team policies and practices are documented and easy to access, including managing the Policy Team internal website.
- Build strong internal and external relationships with colleagues and collaborators, including supporting Policy Team team building.
Special Projects (depending on skill, experience and need) - Advocacy and/or Research
- Participate in, and represent SPUR, on advocacy coalitions on behalf of Chief of Policy
- Conduct and support high impact policy research and writing for high priority policy research projects
- Other special projects, depending on skills, experience and need
Executive Support to the Policy Team
- Occasionally support Policy Directors in organizing, convening, and managing task forces, workshops and other high impact convenings
- Scheduling – You can manage and prioritize complex schedules.
- Planning/organizing – you can prioritize and plan work activities, and use time efficiently
- Flexibility – you should be able to adapt to changes in the work environment, manage competing demands and be able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events
- Dependability – shows up on time, responds to direction, solicits feedback to improve performance, and maintains confidentiality.
- Interpersonal skills – you should be able to develop professional relationships quickly and easily.
- Oral communication – you can speak clearly and persuasively, and be comfortable presenting to or managing groups
- Written communication – you can edit work for spelling and grammar, present numerical data effectively and be able to read and interpret written information
- Quality control – you are accurate and thorough, and monitor your own work to ensure quality
- Work experience in a political context (advocacy group, elected official, political campaign) a plus
- Executive-level administrative experience a plus
The salary range for this position is $62,400–$72,000 and will be based on experience and commensurate with skills and qualifications.
SPUR offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, vision care, basic life insurance, pre-tax commuter benefits, work from home stipend, employee assistance program (EAP) and retirement plan with twenty-five percent contribution matching.
Hybrid Work Environment
SPUR has a hybrid workplace model defined by a combination of remote and in-person work. We have mandatory all staff in-person days on Monday and staff may be required to attend other in-person meetings, events and programs as needed. All policies are subject to change as relevant health orders change.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
SPUR employees are required to confidentially show proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination to HR as a condition of employment. If the employee is entitled to a medical related reasonable accommodation or a sincerely held religious belief or practice, then the employee is exempt from the vaccine requirement and reasonable accommodations will be considered and made available if there is not an undue hardship incurred in order to provide it.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume. Applicants should apply by submitting their materials to this link.
Equal Opportunity Employer
SPUR is an equal opportunity employer with a strong organizational commitment to respecting differences of all kinds. SPUR prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, political orientation or disability or any other basis prohibited by law. In that spirit, we strongly encourage applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, LGBTQ applicants and others that will contribute to the diversity of our staff.
Applicants With Disabilities
Reasonable accommodations will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so assigned.