SPUR is a nonprofit public policy organization in the San Francisco Bay Area. Through research, education and advocacy, SPUR works to create an equitable, sustainable and prosperous region, where all people thrive. We bring people together from across the political spectrum to develop solutions to the big problems cities face. With offices in San Francisco, San José and Oakland, we are recognized and respected for our independent and holistic approach to urban issues.
SPUR seeks an Engagement Manager to support the Director of Engagement and Chief of Strategy and Operations in the development of a Network Engagement Strategy for SPUR, inclusive of the organization’s policy and development engagement. The role will be central in helping the organization understand how to move its membership and broader network into action for the organization, whether through attendance at events, donations, or support of policy work products.
The Engagement Manager will support the design and implementation of cultural and educational learning experiences, programs, exhibits, and events that equip policymakers and stakeholders with the knowledge, skills and community they need to solve the challenges our cities face. Additionally, the Engagement Manager will work closely with the Director of Engagement to find creative ways to engage SPUR’s donor base, highlighting opportunities for their authentic interaction and engagement with our work. This may include developing study trips to cities to learn best practices, cultivate new types of educational programs for our membership, and other activities.
The ideal candidate is creative, organized, thoughtful and self-directed, with an ability to successfully manage dozens of projects, people and partners concurrently. Additionally, they must have proven interpersonal skills, an innate capacity for thriving in cooperative environments and a talent for the ideation and effectuation of long-term strategy without losing sight of foundation details. Like all jobs at SPUR, this is a very hands-on position, and any one day might include planning upcoming programs, developing study tours to international cities, hosting a workshop, copywriting event listings, installing an exhibition, reviewing email newsletters and meeting with potential partner organizations.
Help Create Engaging Public Programming
- Work alongside the Director of Engagement to plan and manage the logistics for programs in San Francisco, Oakland, and San Jose, including speaker communication, scheduling, day-of management, on-site registration, promotion and more.
- Ensure in person events spaces are set up to support an engaging environment
- Interact with guest speakers and event attendees as needed to support well executed in person and virtual events.
- Help develop the future of accessible and interactive SPUR’s public programs, events and convenings, including virtual, in-person and hybrid models.
- Act as the main point of contact between the SPUR audience and our engagement activities, fielding questions about content and our organization, circulating resources related to recent and upcoming programs and engaging with attendees during both live and virtual events.
- Manage the backend systems that drive engagement work are operational and effective, including calendars, creating and/or sourcing necessary content for the SPUR website and tracking registration, attendance and other metrics in both Salesforce and Google Docs. This may include the project management of contractors supporting technical aspects of this work.
Grow our Audience
- Utilize email newsletters and social media platforms to promote upcoming programs.
- Foster and manage partnerships with organizations around the Bay Area to build awareness of our work.
- Support the development of SPUR’s engagement work with strategy and engagement tactics to grow SPUR's membership base.'
- Build on past efforts to grow the SPUR audience by researching new event typologies and implementing practices and procedures to improve program accessibility.
- Explore how our programming can better align with the needs and desires of our audience by tracking engagement at our events, surveying our audience and more.
- Support with marketing and post-event follow up communications
Engage with SPUR-Directed Policy Initiatives
- Collaborate with Policy Directors to distill their work into panel discussions and workshops that are engaging and accessible for the SPUR audience.
Interact with SPUR’s Financial Supporters
- Assist the Chief Development Officer and Director of Institutional Giving in the creation and management of events for SPUR’s business members, major donors and affinity groups.
- Support the Development Team as it continues to build and iterate engagement strategies and tactics to grow SPUR's membership base.
- Interest in cities, public policy and urban issues
- Experience in program management
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience interacting with the public preferred
- Attention to detail
- Highly organized
- Project management
- Friendly and social professional
- Flexible and adaptable leader
- A/V knowledge and ability to learn on the spot
- Familiarity with Word, Excel, HTML and MacOS
- Volunteer management or other supervision experience preferred
- Willingness to work occasional evenings
The salary range for this position is $80,000-90,000 depending on experience. This is a full-time, exempt position. SPUR offers a complete benefits package of health insurance, dental insurance, vision care, basic life insurance, pre-tax commuter benefits, employee assistance program (EAP) and retirement plan with twenty-five percent contribution matching.
Hybrid Work Environment
At SPUR the health of our employees and their families is our top priority. SPUR has a hybrid workplace model defined by a combination of remote and in-person work. We have mandatory all staff in-person days on Monday and Wednesday and staff may be required to attend other in-person meetings, events and programs as needed. All policies are subject to change as relevant health orders change.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume. Applicants should apply by submitting their materials to this link. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Equal Opportunity Employer
SPUR is an equal opportunity employer with a strong organizational commitment to respecting differences of all kinds. SPUR prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, political orientation or disability or any other basis prohibited by law. In that spirit, we strongly encourage applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, LGBTQ applicants and others that will contribute to the diversity of our staff.
Applicants With Disabilities
Reasonable accommodations will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so assigned.