Director of Corporate Philanthropy
SPUR is a nonprofit public policy organization in the San Francisco Bay Area. Through research, education and advocacy, SPUR works to create an equitable, sustainable and prosperous region, where all people thrive. We bring people together from across the political spectrum to develop solutions to the big problems cities face. With offices in San Francisco, San José and Oakland, we are recognized and respected for our independent and holistic approach to urban issues.
SPUR is seeking a strategic and dynamic Director of Corporate Philanthropy to enhance our corporate giving program in order to advance SPUR’s mission in a profound way. The director will serve as a key leadership position within SPUR’s development team and is responsible for generating approximately $3M in revenue from businesses in the form of memberships and event sponsorships. They will drive strategy, cultivate long term relationships, design and oversee membership campaigns, oversee cultivation and stewardship events and refine critical fundraising systems for SPUR’s corporate philanthropy team. The position oversees two full time development staff members, the Corporate Relations Managers and reports to the Chief Development Officer.
- Develop strong relationships with a portfolio of business members and prospects
- Build partnerships with SPUR Board and staff to engage them in corporate fundraising activities
- Steward, renew and upgrade current business members to achieve revenue goals
- Research, cultivate and solicit a robust pipeline of prospective donors
- Secure corporate sponsorships for the Silver SPUR Awards and Ideas + Action annual signature events; as well as other events, including but not limited to business stewardship events and public programming
- Collaborate with the Grants Manager to identify and solicit corporate grants
- Support and collaborate with the CDO on the Impact Acceleration campaign, including identifying and soliciting corporate donors with the potential for multi-year support commitments
- Collaborate closely with the Chief Development Officer (CDO) to recognize individuals with interest and capacity to invest in SPUR’s mission
- Maintain a strong knowledge of SPUR policy and advocacy programsAttend affinity group meetings, business stewardship events, public programs, and annual signature events for donor stewardship and engagement.
- With guidance from the CDO, develop the long-term strategy for nurturing and growing SPUR’s corporate donor base
- Establish and oversee the annual calendar of all corporate related events
- Collaborate with Corporate Relations Managers and the Public Engagement team to ideate and coordinate business stewardship events and affinity groups
- Engage in continuous learning and improvement with SPUR’s fundraising efforts so that they become more effective over time
- Advance SPUR’s equity commitments and goals
- Oversee two Corporate Relations Managers to ensure alignment of SPUR’s business development strategic plan
- Work collaboratively and strategically with other development staff to coordinate strategy, tactics and process
- Frequently attend SPUR and community events and meetings outside of normal business hours
- Oversee the corporate donor stewardship management process, ensuring all pledges are captured in the CRM database and that donors are empowered to fulfill their commitments
- Optimize and refine Salesforce to enhance corporate fundraising effectiveness and efficiency
- Oversee the creation and integrity of corporate accounting dashboards through Salesforce and other tracking tools
- Coordinate with the Development Events Manager on creation of sponsorship benefits, marketing collateral, sponsor communications, etc. for signature events (Good Government Awards, Silver SPUR Awards and Ideas+Action)
- Experience in successfully soliciting funds
- A passion for cities, public policy, and the Bay Area
- Ability to build strong relationships with a diverse range of people and industries
- Excellent organization, planning and prioritizing skills and high attention to detail.
- Strong collaboration skills and ability to work well with across departments
- Exceptional oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Proficiency in Salesforce or similar databases
- Ability to attend events in the mornings or evenings throughout the Bay Area at least once a week
- Ability to travel to the SPUR Urban Center in San Francisco once a week and other SPUR offices as needed
The salary range for this position is $105,000-$142,000 and will be based on experience and commensurate with skills and qualifications. This is a full-time, exempt position. SPUR offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, vision care, basic life insurance, pre-tax commuter benefits, work from home stipend, employee assistance program (EAP) and retirement plan with twenty-five percent contribution matching.
Hybrid Work Environment
At SPUR the health of our employees and their families is our top priority. SPUR has a hybrid workplace model defined by a combination of remote and in-person work. We have mandatory all staff in-person days on Monday and staff may be required to attend other in-person meetings, events and programs as needed. All policies are subject to change as relevant health orders change.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
SPUR employees are required to confidentially show proof of up to date COVID-19 vaccination to HR as a condition of employment. If the employee is entitled to a medical related reasonable accommodation or a sincerely held religious belief or practice, then the employee is exempt from the vaccine requirement and reasonable accommodations will be considered and made available if there is not an undue hardship incurred in order to provide it.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume. Applicants should apply by submitting their materials to this link.
Equal Opportunity Employer
SPUR is an equal opportunity employer with a strong organizational commitment to respecting differences of all kinds. SPUR prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, political orientation or disability or any other basis prohibited by law. In that spirit, we strongly encourage applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, LGBTQ applicants and others that will contribute to the diversity of our staff.
Applicants With Disabilities
Reasonable accommodations will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so assigned.