Development Events Manager
SPUR is a nonprofit public policy organization in the San Francisco Bay Area. Through research, education and advocacy, SPUR works to create an equitable, sustainable and prosperous region, where all people thrive. We bring people together from across the political spectrum to develop solutions to the big problems cities face. With offices in San Francisco, San José and Oakland, we are recognized and respected for our independent and holistic approach to urban issues.
SPUR is seeking an experienced events professional to oversee, orchestrate and execute our signature and member cultivation events from conception to completion. The position requires strong project management, communication and interpersonal skills. Successful candidates will possess an acute attention to detail and be highly organized, outgoing and independent. This person must have the ability to juggle many events at different stages of production simultaneously.The Development Events Manager works collaboratively with all departments at SPUR as well as with donors, volunteers and board members on annual signature events and member engagement events.
SPUR’s annual signature events generate substantial income for the organization’s general operating budget, and the donor cultivation events promote SPUR’s community of urbanists by providing opportunities for members to build connections. In this role, it is important to think strategically about the big picture and maintain an awareness of how small, short term projects fit a greater organizational plan.
Events Project Management (70%)
- Manage full scope of event planning and logistics including budget, production, vendor sourcing, collateral, invitation and RSVP management, program (speakers, presentations, run-of-show), technical, operational and décor requirements, and on-site execution
- Motivate consultants and vendors to provide SPUR the maximum service for the most cost-effective price, while maintaining high quality events
- Manage outreach to elected officials, community leaders and sponsors and major donors to ensure appropriate invitations are extended to the right people at the right time in the right manner
- Prepare key stakeholders and senior management for their roles and participation in events. Ensure proper and timely communication of guest lists, attendee bios, remarks and timelines
- Work closely with the Chief Development Officer and other relevant staff to develop content for all special events, recruiting speakers and hosts whenever appropriate
- Work with development & communications team to create and implement event promotional plans
- Create and distribute event printed and digital collateral, including updating the SPUR event website pages. Work with the graphic design team to produce all promotional materials on time and on budget
- Work with volunteer coordinators to recruit all signature event volunteers and interns; and provide oversight to SPUR event volunteers (anywhere from 1 to 50 per event) to ensure donor stewardship is held to a premium standard
- Attend all signature events, ensuring quality implementation. Oversee “day of” tasks for each event, ensuring load-in and breakdown as needed. Train staff and volunteers to perform event duties in advance
Event Analysis - 15%
- Evaluate effectiveness of each event and collaborate with leaders to create an annual operational plan to set goals and events calendar for the year.
- Ensure that events are planned for the most effective day of the week and time of the year and do not conflict with other major events within the Bay Area
- Engage in regular reporting on the effectiveness of SPUR’s signature events
Administration and program event support - 15%
- Use Salesforce to create mailing lists, track RSVPs, and input relevant notes of donor/prospect involvement.
- Oversee relationship tracking and management of donor communications when necessary
- Coordinate and executive all sponsor benefits communication for signature events in a professional manner to steward sponsors and ensure timely receipt of benefits materials (including but not limited to guest names, digital and printed materials, etc.)
- Occasional travel to San Jose and Oakland required
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2-3 years project management experience bringing project from conception/planning stages through to implementation and completion
- High attention to detail
- Strong time-management skills, extremely organized, able to multi-task and work under pressure in a team environment with enthusiasm and humor
- Proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint & Gmail. Experience with Salesforce is highly desirable
- Self-directing initiative
- Proven effective communication skills (written and verbal)
- Ability to collaborate across teams and departments
- Ability to adapt to existing systems and improve upon them
- Experience volunteering or working with a nonprofit/mission-based organization or social enterprise
- Interest in urban and public/civic affairs
- Experience working closely with a variety of businesses and community members
- Strategic marketing and communication experience desirable
- Proficiency with Mac computers helpful
The salary range for this position is $75,000-$85,000 and will be based on experience and commensurate with skills and qualifications. This is a full-time, exempt position. SPUR offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume. Applicants should apply by submitting their materials to this link.
Equal Opportunity Employer
SPUR is an equal opportunity employer with a strong organizational commitment to respecting differences of all kinds. SPUR prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, political orientation or disability or any other basis prohibited by law. In that spirit, we strongly encourage applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, LGBT applicants and others that will contribute to the diversity of our staff.
Applicants With Disabilities
Reasonable accommodations will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so assigned.