SPUR’s comments at this time are limited and conditional since important aspects of the project are still to be resolved. As a result of our review and discussion to date, we believe that the project should achieve the following objectives:
1. Contribute to the vitality of the waterfront;
2. Contribute to the public realm and open space network along the waterfront;
3. Exemplify high quality architecture and urban design;
4. Appropriately respond to existing plans and regulations or provide reasonable rationale for changes;
5. Include a community benefits packages that addresses pressing social needs such as local employment while also addressing mitigations for potential adverse effects (if any) on the community;
6. Maximize the use of sustainable transportation modes, including public transit, bicycling and walking while minimizing conflicts between those modes and automobile transportation, and
7. Provide a net fiscal benefit to the Port and the City.
We will continue to monitor the progress of the project’s design and entitlement process.