Volunteer + Intern Coordinator
SPUR is one of North America’s preeminent urban planning and public policy organizations. Through research, advocacy and public education, SPUR promotes good planning and good government. SPUR is a member-supported nonprofit organization.
Hours per week: 20 hours/week
Preferred schedule: Monday and one other day in office, with commitment to check email throughout the week. Some work can be done remotely.
Commitment: 4+ months
Start Date: Immediately
Reports to: Administrative Director
We are seeking an individual with the enthusiasm and know-how to assist in building and preserving a dynamic and diverse team of volunteers and interns. Be part of the team that brings together the right people to conduct the research, education and advocacy efforts needed to help further SPUR's vision in the Bay Area.
- Work with staff to determine volunteer and interns needs for SPUR departments and events
- Create and maintain volunteer intern and job descriptions
- Post opportunities on www.spur.org and volunteer posting sites
- Review applications
- Set up interviews and follow up with offers
- Recognize volunteers and interns efforts, formally and informally
- Help coordinate work schedules and ensure work resources for the interns
- Ensure a positive volunteer and internship experience
- Provide on-site orientation and training for Front Desk Ambassadors and orientation paperwork for all Policy Interns
- Manage volunteers for special events, sometimes serving as a volunteer point person or house manager
- Maintain firstname.lastname@example.org email
- Track applications, volunteer contacts, jobs and intern hours in SPUR’s organizational and HR databases
- Act as point of contact to set up and trouble shoot administrative issues, such as keycard authorization and email addresses
- Act as core Human Resources staff for interns and volunteers
- Recruit, train and manage volunteers for forums and exhibitions, as requested by Public Engagement staff and interns
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Interest in cities, public policy and urban issues
- Strong communication skills
- Database and spreadsheet experience, online database experience preferred
- Savvy with email communications
- Experience with MacOS and Microsoft Office
- Interviewing experience a plus
- Volunteer coordination experience a plus
To apply, send your cover letter and resume to Rob Poole, Volunteer + Intern Coordinator, with the job title in the subject line, at email@example.com.