SPUR is one of North America’s preeminent urban planning and public policy organizations. Through research, advocacy and public education, SPUR promotes good planning and good government. SPUR is a member-supported nonprofit organization.
- Start date: January 2016
- Schedule: 9-5, two days a week from Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs/Fri
- Location: 1544 Broadway, Oakland
- Duration: 3+ months
This role merges reception, membership services, exhibition guide and event support. As SPUR's friendly face, the Ambassador will be in constant contact with visitors, policy staff, forum guests and our board members. This position will have the responsibility of managing email, letters and other correspondence that we receive. The Ambassador will provide information about our exhibitions and help to make sure that their contents remain safe. In addition, we will look for the Ambassador to attract new members to our organization.
This position is ideal for proactive students that are looking to gain exposure to policy formation and contemporary Bay Area planning issues.
- Serve as a source of information for our guests
- Support a high level of communication
- Act as a public face of SPUR, sharing our mission and encouraging new memberships
Public Engagement Events
- Support Public Engagement team in setting up, breaking down and management of SPUR programs and events
- Opportunity to act as Tuesday night host for evening programs
- Provide basic information on the exhibition and guide visitors to the entrance
- Replace light bulbs, enter data into our database and handle other functional necessities
- Protect the exhibition, help control improper behavior around the area
- Act as support staff for our members, ensuring excellent customer service
- Assist with check-in for members and non-members for SPUR events
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITY
- Interest in cities, public policy and urban issues
- Ability to communicate in writing, over the phone and in person
- Knowledge of Word and Excel to mail merge, database experience and Mac OS experience preferred
- Office skills
- Familiarity with online databases such as eTapestry and Salesforce
- Ability to comfortably lift 30 lbs.
Internships at SPUR are unpaid, however, interns will enjoy SPUR membership benefits, including free admission to all forums and tours and a one-year subscription to SPUR’s magazine, The Urbanist. As a thought leader in urban planning, design and policy, SPUR has been a valuable stepping-stone for interns to graduate school and careers in real-estate, architecture, design, and consulting.
To apply, send your cover letter and resume to Christina Yun, with the position title in the subject line, to email@example.com.