Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Status: Full time
Salary: Depending upon experience
Location: San Francisco
Through research, education and advocacy, SPUR promotes good planning and good government in the San Francisco Bay Area. We bring people together from across the political spectrum to develop solutions to the big problems our cities face. With offices in San Francisco, San Jose and Oakland, we are recognized as a leading civic planning organization and respected for our independent and holistic approach to urban issues. SPUR is a member-supported nonprofit organization.
Summary of Position
The Director of Corporate Philanthropy is responsible for generating revenue from businesses in the form of memberships, event sponsorships and special grants to support SPUR’s mission. He or she will cultivate meaningful and enduring relationships, collaborate with SPUR’s Board of Directors, and develop new opportunities to engage with current and prospective corporate donors.
The Director of Corporate Philanthropy primarily focuses on San Francisco based companies but will also work closely with SPUR’s San Jose and Oakland philanthropy managers.
- Develop strong relationships with a portfolio of business members and prospects
- Build partnerships with SPUR board members to engage them in fundraising activities
- Steward, renew and upgrade current business members
- Recruit new business members
- Secure corporate sponsorships for SPUR’s three annual fundraising events
- Identify opportunities for special grants from companies that align with SPUR’s priorities
- Collaborate closely with the major gift officer and the chief development officer to recognize individuals with interest and capacity to invest in SPUR’s mission
- With guidance from the chief development officer, develop the long-term strategy for nurturing and growing SPUR’s business donor base
- Establish SPUR’s annual calendar of business-related events
- Engage in continuous learning and improvement with SPUR’s fund-raising efforts so that they become more effective over time
- Indirectly oversee the San Jose and Oakland philanthropy mangers to ensure alignment of SPUR’s business development strategic plan
- Work collaboratively and strategically with other development staff to coordinate strategy, tactics and process
- Oversee the corporate donor stewardship management process, ensuring all pledges are captured in the CRM database and that donors are empowered to fulfill their commitments
- Frequently attend SPUR events and meetings outside of normal business hours
Salary and Benefits
Salary is to be determined depending upon experience. This is a full-time, exempt position. SPUR offers a package of health insurance, specialty health insurance, dental insurance, long-term disability and life insurance, employee assistance program (EAP), 25 percent retirement contribution matching and a monthly transit pass.
Applicants should email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so assigned.
SPUR is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.