SPUR is one of North America’s preeminent urban planning and public policy organizations. Through research, advocacy and public education, SPUR promotes good planning and good government. SPUR is a member-supported nonprofit organization.
Location: SPUR Urban Center, San Francisco
Hours per week: Flexible, but two full (9-5) days per week preferred. Availability to help with the occasional late night or early morning event preferred.
Duration: 3 months minimum
Start Date: Immediately (Winter 2017) or April/May (Summer 2017)
Reports to: SPUR Fundraising and Special Events Team
SPUR is seeking an intern to assist with fundraising, membership and special events. Depending on the applicant’s strengths and the day-to-day needs of our team, the intern will gain experience in nonprofit marketing, data analysis, database management, event logistics and other administrative tasks.
The ideal intern will be highly motivated to learn about the nonprofit sector and won’t be afraid to take initiative. He or she will also have a strong eye for detail and a positive attitude.
We are seeking interns to start immediately or at the beginning of this summer. Interns throughout winter 2017 will help us prepare for the 2017 Good Government Awards. Interns who start in April/May will help us prepare for the 2017 SPUR Member Parties.
Event Logistics and Day-of Coordination
- Prepare for event by performing inventory, assisting with RSVP tracking and gathering supplies
- Update VIP lists as directed
- Lead volunteers on event day by assigning tasks and providing support
- Set up poster boards, registration and decorations at events
- Assist with clean up and attendance tracking after event
- Assist Development Events Associate with additional administrative tasks as needed
Data and Database Support
- Maintain and add database records on an ongoing basis
- Collect and analyze donor metrics; write summary memos
- Perform donor research
- Draft email communication to members
- Generate confirmations, invoices, thank-you letters and reports
- Respond to members’ email inquiries
- Assemble packets, envelopes, invitations
- Assist with meeting preparation and clean up
- Other duties as assigned
- Management of special projects and research opportunities
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High level of attention to detail
- Interest in cities, public policy and urban issues
- Office skills, preferably knowledge of Word and Excel to mail merge, and database experience
- Familiarity with online databases (eTapestry, Salesforce, etc.)
- Strong communications skills, both verbally and in writing
- Copywriting and copyediting experience
- Experience with managing multichannel marketing campaigns (social media, print, email) with measured results
- Ability to independently manage workflow but also thrive in a team environment
- Ability to lead volunteers
- Ability to comfortably lift 30 lbs.
- Ability to travel to off site events as needed
- Ability to participate in early morning and evening events as needed
- Free SPUR membership for 1 year
- Free access to SPUR’s lunchtime and evening forums
- Exposure to Bay Area urban planning and policy
- Commuter checks available for interns working at least 24 hours/week