Location: SPUR Urban Center, 654 Mission Street, San Francisco
Hours per week: 15 hours minimum
Commitment: 3 months
Start Date: Early September
Reports to: Publication and Communications Manager
SPUR is one of North America’s preeminent urban planning and public policy organizations. Through research, advocacy and public education, SPUR promotes good planning and good government. SPUR is a member-supported nonprofit organization.
SPUR is seeking a communications intern to work closely with the Publication and Communications Manager on SPUR’s blog, website and email newsletters. This position requires a patient, detail-oriented candidate who is comfortable performing technical tasks. The ideal candidate will have experience with blogging software, content management systems and email newsletters and has some familiarity with web analytics, search engine optimization and HTML.
- Support policy staff in producing five email newsletters a month, including CMS formatting, mass mailing from a database and troubleshooting technical issues
- Post blog entries and other new content to our website, including photo research and optimizing content for search engines
- Maintain our online publications archive: restore missing content, reformat outdated content and add new content
- Monitor web analytics and work to increase online traffic
- Work with other staff members as needed
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Patience with technology and strong attention to detail
- Familiarity with content management systems; some HTML knowledge preferred
- Experience with SEO and interpreting web analytics
- Mass emailing and database experience preferred
- An interest in cities, public policy and urban planning
- Editing, copy editing and photo research skills a bonus
Internships at SPUR are unpaid. However, interns will enjoy SPUR membership benefits, including free admission to all forums and tours and a one-year subscription to SPUR’s magazine, The Urbanist. As a thought leader in urban planning and policy, SPUR has been a valuable stepping stone for interns to prestigious graduate schools and careers in real-estate, public policy, architecture, and urban design.
To apply, send your cover letter and resume, with the job title in the subject line, to Volunteer Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org